The Lord of the Rings Meme | ten scenes (2/10)
Farewell to Lórien.
This is my favorite fucking scene.
If you’ve read the Silmarillion, you know who Fëanor was. If you don’t, Fëanor was the dickhead who created the Silmarils: three indescribably beautiful and magical jewels that contained the light and essence of the world before it became flawed. They were the catalyst for basically every important thing that happened in the First Age of Middle Earth.
It is thought that the inspiration for the Silmarils came to Fëanor from the sight of Galadriel’s shining, silver-gold hair.
He begged her three times for single strand of her beautiful hair. And every time, Galadriel refused him. Even when she was young, Galadriel’s ability to see into other’s hearts was very strong, and she knew that Fëanor was filled with nothing but fire and greed.
Fast forward to the end of the Third Age.
Gimli, visiting Lorien, is also struck by Galadriel’s beauty. During the scene where she’s passing out her parting gifts to the Fellowship, Galadriel stops empty-handed in front of Gimli, because she doesn’t know what to offer a Dwarf. Gimli tells her: no gold, no treasure… just a single strand of hair to remember her beauty by.
She gives him three. Three.
And this is why Gimli gets to be an Elf Friend, people. Because Galadriel looks at him and thinks he deserves what she refused the greatest Elf who ever lived—- and then twice that. And because he has no idea of the significance of what she’s just given him, but he’s going to treasure it the rest of his life anyway.
Just look at that smile on Legolas’s face in the last panel. He gets it. He knows the backstory. And I’m pretty sure this is the moment he reconsiders whether Elves and Dwarves can’t be friends after all.
Everyone look at this great fucking post
- weslane28 likes this
- strucktea likes this
- strucktea reblogged this from cywscross
- elsaraksha reblogged this from aryaesque
- shelbaline reblogged this from dontgigglesherlock
- redbass2012 likes this
- crazytinker likes this
- crazytinker reblogged this from thranduilings
- kuro-ayaa reblogged this from girlnumberthree
- girlnumberthree reblogged this from endlessdeath
- chickienine reblogged this from blackyrider
- talythiastarseeker likes this
- dribblesnbits reblogged this from cywscross
- incognito-starlord reblogged this from hobbitsontheenterprise
- avidmastermind likes this
- endlessdeath reblogged this from aryaesque
- danedeham likes this
- keralas reblogged this from cywscross
- dont-let-your-dreams-be-clouded likes this
- idiotdrool likes this
- merthur00153 reblogged this from aryaesque
- merthur00153 likes this
- havocwreaker likes this
- fiction2night likes this
- koalaficated likes this
- aquastranger likes this
- queenofthedamn3d likes this
- lightningstarborne likes this
- flight-of-dreams likes this
- seratu reblogged this from cywscross
- itsdarkbetweenthestars likes this
- ourwizz reblogged this from cywscross
- ourwizz likes this
- realityphobia likes this
- stormystig reblogged this from lunakai42
- teamfreewillcannotbekilled likes this
- cynthia-of-the-wallflowers likes this
- coroka6060 likes this
- heiyue reblogged this from cywscross
- heiyue likes this
- thiscouldbealittlemoresonic reblogged this from toughtink
- salachan likes this
- angelsreadingtennyson reblogged this from froyo-yoyo
- lunakai42 reblogged this from mia-valarian
- sleeplesstiles reblogged this from wszechmatka
- the-crownless-queen likes this
- ohlookanotherwholockian reblogged this from spiritualtardis
- ohlookanotherwholockian likes this