The Lord of the Rings Meme | ten scenes (2/10)
Farewell to Lórien.
This is my favorite fucking scene.
If you’ve read the Silmarillion, you know who Fëanor was. If you don’t, Fëanor was the dickhead who created the Silmarils: three indescribably beautiful and magical jewels that contained the light and essence of the world before it became flawed. They were the catalyst for basically every important thing that happened in the First Age of Middle Earth.
It is thought that the inspiration for the Silmarils came to Fëanor from the sight of Galadriel’s shining, silver-gold hair.
He begged her three times for single strand of her beautiful hair. And every time, Galadriel refused him. Even when she was young, Galadriel’s ability to see into other’s hearts was very strong, and she knew that Fëanor was filled with nothing but fire and greed.
Fast forward to the end of the Third Age.
Gimli, visiting Lorien, is also struck by Galadriel’s beauty. During the scene where she’s passing out her parting gifts to the Fellowship, Galadriel stops empty-handed in front of Gimli, because she doesn’t know what to offer a Dwarf. Gimli tells her: no gold, no treasure… just a single strand of hair to remember her beauty by.
She gives him three. Three.
And this is why Gimli gets to be an Elf Friend, people. Because Galadriel looks at him and thinks he deserves what she refused the greatest Elf who ever lived—- and then twice that. And because he has no idea of the significance of what she’s just given him, but he’s going to treasure it the rest of his life anyway.
Just look at that smile on Legolas’s face in the last panel. He gets it. He knows the backstory. And I’m pretty sure this is the moment he reconsiders whether Elves and Dwarves can’t be friends after all.
Everyone look at this great fucking post
- miss-pogy likes this
- jezaprinceza reblogged this from ghostheart
- theladyofpie likes this
- redmagus77 reblogged this from haudankaivaja
- alsoveryeevil reblogged this from catladyandthings
- alsoveryeevil likes this
- catladyandthings reblogged this from quietlittleplaces
- sentientblueberry likes this
- loveyprophet reblogged this from gamzee
- steampunkmermaid reblogged this from spones-in-my-bones
- lightdarkdragon reblogged this from trulywicked
- thunderwishes reblogged this from therotund
- cannibaldoll likes this
- willofaleksander reblogged this from okellyjaneo
- dazenji likes this
- idris-elbas-elbows likes this
- ellebolle reblogged this from trulywicked
- karopapier reblogged this from trulywicked
- trulywicked reblogged this from 10followedfelagund
- crunchtone reblogged this from misterhoads
- camgolddragon reblogged this from thispersonisillogical
- ianeta808 likes this
- dreamofhope98 likes this
- whoa-its-tyler reblogged this from amberbrownisnotacrayonn
- whoa-its-tyler likes this
- amberbrownisnotacrayonn reblogged this from justinegabby
- lostintheocean26 reblogged this from callistahogan
- slenderwave likes this
- rabbitturtlenoises reblogged this from effyeahlotr
- rabbitturtlenoises likes this
- afairlypudgycat reblogged this from fadingkings
- begetter reblogged this from saharali
- bobbythekomainu reblogged this from thenimbus
- amberamelia reblogged this from theconsultingharlequin
- 5646locked likes this
- theconsultingharlequin reblogged this from islandofmisfitandjoy
- languorwine reblogged this from sentry2028
- headcanshizz likes this
- afairlypudgycat likes this
- fadingkings reblogged this from unspecifiedspecibus
- bluberryjelly reblogged this from piebutt and added:
- thousandwhispersofthewind reblogged this from vasilisatargaryen
- gryffindro reblogged this from arrows
- kikonnetje reblogged this from kingloptr
- fauxfoxfanatics reblogged this from fauxfox66
- fauxfox66 likes this
- owlish-ruka reblogged this from sanity-was-never-an-option
- luvellieraine reblogged this from piebutt
- to-the-starkcave likes this
- hilariousblogname likes this